Friends of 2weeks1gather
Highlights of the First International Tea-party
The idea of a virtual get-together was first proposed by Kempton who took upon himself to arrange for the inauguration event on October 24, 2009. Four friends of 2week1gather were available for the on-line tea-party.
All participants were connected promptly by Kempton using the Internet-based voice-Skype technology.
Although there was no set agenda, the participants had no problems engaging in a 55-minute conversation in Cantonese that consisted of the following topics:
* A quick self-introduction: Personal info such as education etc was provided on a voluntary basis.
* Hobbies and interests: These include everything from Broadway shows; skiing; urban planning; to in-depth discussion of architectural designs in Hong Kong in references to masterpieces by Frank Gehry and Douglas Cardinal.
* Hong Kong: The participants touched on the blogging scene (age groups, language styles, and other characteristics); workplace culture (e.g. people throwing tantrums vs dealing with the issues at hand); and key values of a society (profits becoming both the means and the end, opportunities or lack thereof for talented people to innovate; brain drain; a place where we grew up; etc).
* Philosophy: Departing from HK, the participants brought the conversation back at the global level and started to discuss whether people’s principles were non-negotiable, as opposed to behaviours. True to form, our philosopher friend responded to a “poke” from the facilitator and made his position. Alas, the discussion had to be cut short as some of us had to leave.
* Happy One-year Anniversary: The participants would like to raise their tea-cups and congratulate our readers, especially the organizers, on this special occasion of the one-year anniversary of 「兩周一聚」2weeks1gather.
“May you always, be a dreamer,
May your wildest dreams come fulfilled;
May old acquaintances be remembered;
And our cups of kindness filled !!! ”
Do you want to join us?
If you are interested to join us in our next Friends of 2weeks1gather virtual tea-party, please leave a comment in this blog entry to let us know. Oh, you have to have written a 2weeks1gather article first to join.
Haricot with input from Horace, Kempton and Tsubasa – October 24, 2009